What does func!thing mean?

ProgrammingGhost dsioafiseghvfawklncfskzdcf at sdifjsdiovgfdisjcisj.com
Thu Nov 7 21:46:27 PST 2013

I'm a D noob. ".map!(a => a.length)" seems like the lambda is
passed into the  template. ".map!split" just confuses me. What is
split? I thought only types can be after "!". I would guess split
is a standard function but then shouldn't it be map!(split)?

     const wordCount = file.byLine()                  // Read lines
                           .map!split                 // Split
into words
                           .map!(a => a.length)       // Count
words per line