pure-ifying my code

qznc qznc at web.de
Mon Nov 18 02:05:40 PST 2013

On Monday, 18 November 2013 at 07:37:27 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
>> This is middleend optimization stuff, though.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. There is no
> middle-end. We have the
> front-end, which is shared by dmd, gdc, and ldc, and then each
> compiler has
> its own backend. Anything D-specific is done in the front-end.
> So, if there are
> any D-specific optimizations (such as optimizations related to
> pure), they need
> to be in the front-end.

For me, middle-end is stuff, which is neither specific to input
language nor to output OS/architecture/runtime. Effectively, all
compiler optimizations which are useful everywhere. Maybe this
view is a little outdated, since most people consider LLVM has
simply a backend, while I would consider it middle- and backend
of a compiler.