D game engine -- Any suggestions?

Paulo Pinto pjmp at progtools.org
Wed Nov 20 08:04:13 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 20 November 2013 at 10:20:06 UTC, Rene Zwanenburg
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 November 2013 at 09:15:41 UTC, Rene Zwanenburg
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A few things jumped out at me:
>>
>> Camera.d:

>> Oops, I have to run.. Will take a look at the rest later.
>
> Still regarding camera.d:
>
> - The glfw3 import appears to be unused and can be removed.
>
> - the call to Math.perspectiveGL modifies OpenGL state. Your
> math functions _really_ shouldn't interact with OpenGL.
>
> - Taking the previous point a bit further, your Camera class
> doesn't need to know about OpenGL either. In your rendering
> routine, get the camera matrices from a camera and pass them to
> OpenGL.
>
> - Like Paulo said, don't use the fixed function pipeline. If
> you're not familiar with 3D yet the FFP is easier to use at
> first, but using modern OpenGL will pay for itself in the long
> run. I don't know where to find a good introduction to modern
> OpenGL though, perhaps someone else around here..

Here are two possibilities using modern pipeline:

http://www.mbsoftworks.sk/index.php?page=tutorials&series=1

http://www.swiftless.com/opengl4tuts.html

Both of them are Windows based though, but it should be enough to
get started.

--
Paulo