std.process spawnShell/pipeShell dont capture output of the shell

Colin Grogan grogan.colin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 01:36:24 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 10 October 2013 at 01:24:03 UTC, Jesse Phillips
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 October 2013 at 14:54:32 UTC, Colin Grogan
> wrote:
>> is blocking. However, its not meant to be blocking is it not?
>> That new /bin/bash process is meant to run in parallel to the
>> main process?
>
> I'm not sure exactly the implementation. But if you're asking
> to run bash and then print its output, wouldn't it have to
> block because the output won't be complete until the program
> has finished running? And since bash will run until you exit
> the program will block for ever.

 From what I understood in the documentation, I didnt think it
should block. I understood it's meant to run the child process in
the background and you communicate with it via the
stdin/stdout/stderr pipes. But, from experimentation I can see
that running /bin/bash does appear to block.

Ill have to do some more digging when I have the time...