Starting D with a project in mind.

Stefan Frijters sfrijters at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 13:54:32 PDT 2013

On Friday, 11 October 2013 at 07:09:17 UTC, Andrew wrote:

>> As Adam already said D on Pi is adventurous.
>>
>> For MongoDB and web stuff, you should look into Vibe.d [0].
>> For parsing I would suggest Pegged [1].
>>
>> Welcome to D and Happy Hacking! :)
>>
>> [0] http://vibed.org/
>> [1] https://github.com/PhilippeSigaud/Pegged
>
> Thanks both. Well after several hours of hacking I have
> spectacularly failed to build GDC on any arm based debian
> environment - tried both my RPi and Cubieboard. In both cases
> it fails with a pile of compilation errors.
>
> I'm guessing that D just isn't mainstream enough at the moment
> to be properly supported on Debian and yet it's too big and
> complicated to build easily yourself and so it's probably a
> non-starter for me at the moment. There is a pre-built package
> on debian gdc-4.4 but it's too old to build vibe or dub from my
> experimentation.
>
> I guess I'll go back to plain old C.
>
> Thanks anyway - I'll check back in a few years.

Hi, I don't know which instructions you followed, but building
GDC for the Pi was slow (overnight job) but in the end relatively
pain free for me using these instructions:
http://gdcproject.org/wiki/Raspberry%20Pi/build/Raspbian%28Hardfloat%29/GCC-Devel.
This was some time ago however (more than a year by now, wow), so
I don't know if some change has broken the process since. I don't
think I have the SD card with GDC installed anymore so I don't
know for sure which version I built at the time. I think it was
based on 2.0.59 still. See also
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/kpdcgoynlofeosxajwgc@forum.dlang.org.

When I have some free time I will fire up one of my Pis and give
it a try again and report back.

Cheers,

Stefan