Can I compile for Linux from a Windows platform?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Oct 16 18:18:32 PDT 2013

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 02:58:50 Stephen Jones wrote:
> Basically I want to develop a program on Windows and send the exe
> to someone to use on a Linux platform. Is this possible?

AFAIK, it's not possible. It _might_ be possible to do with mingw and gdc or
ldc (I don't know if they use mingw or not, though I'd guess that they do),
but even if you _could_ target Linux with that (which I doubt), the versions
of the libraries the program was built against wouldn't match what would be
found on a Linux box, so it wouldn't actually run on any Linux box. I've heard
of building on Linux for mingw and then running it on Windows, but that's it,
and I think that it's pretty surprising that that works. In general, you can't
cross-compile across operating systems.

- Jonathan M Davis