Learning D - first steps and best practices

Gary Willoughby dev at nomad.so
Fri Oct 18 08:57:24 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 29 September 2013 at 07:13:26 UTC, Stefan Larsson
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have started my journey to learn D after using C/C++ and
> Python for many years. I am studying the book "The
> D-Programming Language" by Andrei Alexandrescu and I have tried
> to search the D-newsgroups for proper advice without success
> and I am humbly seeking enlightenment in the following topics...

When i first started using D i found the two biggest barriers to
entry were UFCS and D's Template syntax. Luckily i've covered
both on my blog to give newcomers a quick leg up. Andrei's book
is great and very thorough but without the two points above being
explained fully the first half can be confusing.

http://nomad.so/2013/07/templates-in-d-explained/
http://nomad.so/2013/08/alternative-function-syntax-in-d/

These are explained later in the book but examples use them long
before they are covered.