D on Windows - linker question

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 00:56:45 PDT 2013

On Monday, 21 October 2013 at 07:46:41 UTC, Andrew wrote:
> On Monday, 21 October 2013 at 04:38:05 UTC, evilrat wrote:
>> On Sunday, 20 October 2013 at 21:47:53 UTC, Erik van Velzen
>> wrote:
>>> My goal was to learn D and Direct3D at the same time.
>>>
>>> I've tried to set up DMD to do this, but I keep running into
>>> issues that the available DirectX11 and win32 headers are
>>> incomplete, or won't compile (tried both dmd 2.063 and 2.064,
>>> they halt on different type errors), or won't link.
>>>
>>> To be fair, these are only a few errors, but when the linker
>>> spews out some obfuscated function name I really don't know
>>> what to do.
>>>
>>> Will I have more luck with GDC? Or should I try to make
>>> headers on my own incrementally? (or take the easy route and
>>> use C++?)
>>
>> i'm currently trying to get up
>> DirectX(d3d10(x),d3d11(x),xaudio2,x3daudio,d3dmath) up and
>> running in free time, but i constantly encounter serious
>> problems on my way. now i have some weird problems with COM(no
>> COM - no DirectX).
>>
>> so i don't recommend anyone even try it(DirectX) now, unless
>> one is truly skilled with C++
>>
>> p.s. for working win32 with dmd 2.063.2 go there(don't forget
>> to convert .lib's to OMF, use coffimplib from digitalmars ftp)
>> -
>> https://github.com/AndrejMitrovic/DWinProgramming/tree/master/WindowsAPI
>
> What it has to do with C++?

nothing. but whole win32/DirectX is either C or C++ with COM.
learning them will require thinking that way, while D offers
higher level abstraction you won't learn D with this, just D'ish
C/C++. it also would require basic understanding of ABI interop
between C/D and so on, so experience with win32/C++ would help a
lot if any problem encountered.