conv text and pure

Daniel Davidson nospam at spam.com
Wed Oct 23 12:55:25 PDT 2013

Should text be pure?

I have multiple enforce statements of the form:

       enforce(0 == _history.length ||
               !binaryFun!(orderingPred)(additional,
_history[$-1]),
               text(V.stringof, " must be added in chronological
order, but ",
                    additional, " comes before ", _history[$-1]));

and I was hoping that statement would not be the reason for
keeping the containing function from being pure.

Is there a simple work around?

Regarding pure in general:

   - Is there a global list of standard functions that are in the
queue for this designation? (or is every function taking a
separate issue)
   - Where does (or should) purity fall in terms of priority?
   - Isn't it the case that unnecessary, forced impurity is like a
plague, once it starts the spread is rapid. In general, have most
developers given up on its benefit in their code now preferring
/* pure */?

Thanks
Dan