How to get a substring?

Nicolas Sicard dransic at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 01:14:28 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 27 October 2013 at 07:44:06 UTC, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
> On Saturday, 26 October 2013 at 21:23:13 UTC, Gautam Goel wrote:
>> Dumb Newbie Question: I've searched through the library
>> reference, but I haven't figured out how to extract a
>> substring from a string. I'd like something like
>> string.substring("Hello", 0, 2) to return "Hel", for example.
>> What method am I looking for? Thanks!
>
> There are a lot of good answers in this thread but I also think
> they miss the real issue here.

I don't think so. It's indeed worth noticing that Phobos'
algorithms work with Unicode nicely, but:
a) working on indices is sometimes the actual functionality you
need
b) you need to allocate a new string from the range they return
(the slice functions in this thread don't)
c) do they really handle grapheme clusters? (I don't know)