C/C++ struct interfacing

"Rémy Mouëza" remy.moueza at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 13:08:54 PDT 2013

Below is a solution to get it to work as a C binding.

- Your structure should not be enclosed in the `extern (C)`
block; leave it as regular D code.
- cppcall should be declared `extern (C)` in D and `extern "C"`
in C++;
- depending on your platform, you need to link to the C++
standard lib ; on my Ubuntu 12.04, I added the `-L-lstdc++` on
the dmd command line.

I already used that pattern in some binding for the RtMidi lib:
https://github.com/remy-j-a-moueza/drtmidi

dRtMidi.d defines a templated structure :

struct answer (T) {
     int success;
     T value;
     const (char) * errMsg;
}

and so does cRtMidi.cpp :

template <typename T>
struct answer {
     int success;
     T value;
     const char * errMsg;
};

I declared a bunch of `extern (C)` and `extern "C"` function that
pass that data arround. It works only if the T data type as the
same size in both languages.

You can check the size correspondance on this page :
http://dlang.org/interfaceToC.html

And for more tricky types, you can get some inspiration from
Jacob Carlborg dstep project, especially :
- translateType () in Type.d :
https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dstep/blob/master/dstep/translator/Type.d

- and the static constructor of the IncludeHandler class, to get
to import the right D core module :
https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dstep/blob/master/dstep/translator/IncludeHandler.d