Newbie questions. Which Compiler to start with? Real Time behaviour? Has anyone converted CImg yet?

John Carter john.carter at taitradio.com
Sun Sep 1 16:35:14 PDT 2013

So I'm a reasonably experienced C/C++/Ruby/... programmer and D
is looking very Good to me...

So, time to get serious and sit down and learn it.

Ultimately it won't pay me to learn it unless I can ultimately
take my colleagues along.

Currently they are itching to move from C to C++, and I'm trying
to convince them not to.

We work in the embedded linux real time area, so here are a few
newbie questions that I couldn't spot the answer to...

1) Which D compiler should we start with? We use gcc/g++ for
everything else, is gcd a good choice or should we stick with
Digital mars one? (We would be cross compiling to sparc or arm)

2) The traditional argument against garbage collected languages
in real time environments is that they sporadically lock up while
collecting resulting in missed real time deadlines. Certainly the
"state of the art" in GC has moved beyond this, and also there
are workarounds for the problem. Is it possible to do real time
programming in D?

3) A good starter project for me would be to take a well known
cpu-intensive C++ template rich project and convert it to D and
then present that side-by-side to my colleagues.

I like playing around with CImg, http://cimg.sourceforge.net/

CImg it is one huge template with chunks of macro magic to do
image processing.

Before I start, has anyone converted CImg to DImg yet?

Thanks!