Support implicit conversion between types

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Sep 4 15:58:40 PDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 02:14:26PM -0700, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 09/04/2013 01:46 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>
> > D does not support implicit struct construction.
>
> That's what I knew.
>
> > Interestingly though, it *does* support it for functions taking
> > classes:
> >
> > class Foo {
> >          this(int i) {}
> > }
> >
> > void foo(Foo f...) {}
> >
> > void main() {
> >          foo(10);
> > }
>
> WHAT? :) It even new's one?
>
> But it works only for the ellipsis.
>
> I wonder why the discrepancy...
[...]

Whoa. I never knew about this! It's ... I don't know what to say. It
seems to be a cool feature, but it's also ... so scary. Implicit new's
just leaves a lump in my throat. Is this an actual, intentional
feature??!

If you want to solve a problem, you need to address its root cause, not just its symptoms. Otherwise it's like treating cancer with Tylenol...