What's about virtual?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Sep 9 17:28:24 PDT 2013

On 9/9/13 12:47 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 09:37:07PM +0200, Namespace wrote:
>> It's been a while since Manu convinced Walter and Andrei to
>> introduce a virtual Keyword and to change the default from virtual
>> methods to final methods.
>> Anything new? Anybody working on that? I would love to see that
>> soon.
>
> This is going to break a lot of code. We'd need some kind of deprecation
> path. And even then, it may anger a lot of existing users.

After I've seen a pretty cool demo of clang-modernize
(http://clang.llvm.org/extra/ModernizerUsage.html), I think the best way
to attack this and similar problems is to add a class hierarchy
analyzer: a command-line utility that is fed an entire project and adds
as many 'final' as possible without changing semantics.

Time has come to migrate such functionality to tools. We keep on telling
that "nobody uses the tools" but it seems experience contradicts that
belief.

Andrei