User defined attributes use

Namespace rswhite4 at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 16 12:53:07 PDT 2013

Long time not heard from each other. ;)

On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 19:28:22 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 9/16/13 11:56 AM, Namespace wrote:
>> I hate this NotNull struct hack. It is the same crap as the
>> current
>> scope solution.
>
> Scoped variables in the language were a lot worse.
Why? The escaping problem could be solved, not?
Wouldn't it be better, if scope would stay and would be rewritten
internal to the library solution? The compiler could then detect
and solve many of the current problems.

>> BTW: I'm curious which built-in feature will be removed
>> next, maybe AA?
>
> If we're diligent and lucky, hopefully.
That was a joke of me. So I hope that is also a joke. Otherwise
it would be a huge step in the C++ direction.
If it wasn't a joke: what are the rationale for that?

>> An annotation like Foo! f would be much nicer than NotNull!Foo
>> or
>> @NotNull Foo, but it would be an agreement.
>
> Is annotation the only or main problem?
My problem are the nullable classes. But I would be happy with an
annotation.

>> And I agree absolute, to disable default CTor's by struct's
>> was a huge
>> mistake. But D is full of those. ;)
>
> They are not disabled. It seems many people are having trouble
> with getting default constructors to evaluate code, so I assume
> you mean that. One possibility (or first step) would be to
> relax the language to allow CTFE-executable code in default
> constructors.
>

> Andrei
Example?