User defined attributes use

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 13:09:52 PDT 2013

On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 19:58:51 UTC, Namespace wrote:
> Why should anyone switch to D if it is nothing else as a new
> C++?

It's worth pointing out that the library AAs proposed here would
still have the same syntax as the built-in ones now.

int[string] a;

would just be magically rewritten into

AssociativeArray!(int, string) a;

and ["one" : 1, "two" : 2], would just become something like
AALiteral(["one", "two"], [1, 2]);, or whatever, I'm not sure
exactly what they were going to do there.

Anyway though, all the sugar is still there, just a new
implementation as a regular D struct instead of a bunch of calls
to _d_assocarray and the other dozen magic functions and typeinfo
things it uses now.

BTW part of the bugginess is because this move to the library was
half-assed. It does do the AssocativeArray rewrite... but it also
still uses the magic functions.

So there's all kinds of weird crap going on that can make
programs fail to link and other bugs since we've been stuck in
this no-man's land for years.