join of range of ranges?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Sep 22 07:26:12 PDT 2013

In some cases I'd like to join a range of ranges in a single
array/string (I know here the inner map could be replaced by
something better, this code is just an example):

import std.algorithm: map;
import std.array: join, array;
void main() {
     auto r1 = [1, 2]
               .map!(x => [1, 2].map!(y => '*').array)
               .join("_");
     auto r2 = [1, 2]
               .map!(x => [1, 2].map!(y => '*'))
               .join("_");
}

The code works only if I add an 'array' inside, to turn it into a
range of arrays. Do you think it's right to ask as enhancement
for std.array.join to work with a range of ranges too, as in the
r2 case?

Bye,
bearophile