running my program with shared libraries

Harpo roederharpo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 17:11:59 PDT 2014

Hello all! I am having trouble running a program I am writing
without using a script. Here is what I am using to compile.

dmd main.d fileloader.d tokenizer.d globals.d namefunctions.d
misc.d math.d questions.d functions.d -L-ldl -gc

Then in a runner script I have this.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./main

When I started dynamically loading shared objects I was told I
need to put the LD_LIBRARY_PATH bit there to run it. When I do
not have it my program fails to execute. I would like to just be
able to run the program from the command line like you would any
other program e.g "./main". I do not really know what the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH part does so I do not know how to solve my
problem. Does anyone here know how I can set this up the way I
want to?

I am running xubuntu 13.04 64bit. I am using the latest DMD
compiler. The shared objects are coded in c++.

Thanks!