Programming a Game in D? :D

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 2 22:17:07 PDT 2014

On 8/3/2014 5:38 AM, David wrote:
> Hi, not too sure if there's still someone reading this post, but i do
> have another question. So, I heared so much good stuff about D, it's
> powerfull, fast the syntax is nice, but well, why is D actually not used
> for common games yet? (I mean I know about some smaller projects, but
> nothing "big")

There's a huge amount of existing, and proven, C and C++ infrastructure
in the game industry. Companies aren't going to be willing to throw that
out on a whim. Then there are issues about platform support, tooling,
GC-phobia, and other small things that all add up to put D in the
category of "Big Risk."

That said, it has seen some minor use in the game industry (most notably
from Remedy). It may yet see more, but until a AAA team takes a chance
on it and has a proven success, I don't expect it to catch on there. The
indie/hobby space is a different matter entirely.

---