spawnProcess command-line arguments help

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 5 00:39:11 PDT 2014

On Monday, 4 August 2014 at 17:02:27 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 August 2014 at 23:48:09 UTC, Martin wrote:
>> When I use the spawnProcess function in std.process, the
>> command line arguments that I provide to the function seem to
>> get "quoted".
>
> I can't reproduce this on OS X with 2.066rc1 (args are
> unquoted).

Arguments on POSIX systems are passed to programs in a different
way than on Windows. On POSIX, the arguments are passed as an
array of zero-terminated strings (when a command is given as a
string, a shell breaks it up into an argument array before
running the program). On Windows, the arguments are passed as a
string, and are parsed into an array by the executed program (or
its language runtime). Although generally Windows programs use
the OS function CommandLineToArgvW, they have no obligation to do
so, and may implement their own algorithm.