Best practices for testing functions that opens files

abanstadya via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 5 19:54:01 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 5 August 2014 at 23:22:24 UTC, splatterdash wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a recommended way to test functions that opens and
> iterates over files? The unittest block seems more suited for
> testing functions whose input and output can be defined in the
> program itself. I'm wondering if there is a better way to test
> functions that open files with specific formats.
>
> Thanks before :).

The concern would be more on functions that delete files.
Yesterday I've made a programming error which resulted into the
deletion if the source files of another project. Fortunately the
other project was git-i-fyed and I just had to stash/pull to
recover my files.
Take care. Opening files with wrong args can overwrite, delete
the curent one.
Maybe make a sandbox environment (clean brand new account).