BitArray/BitFields - Review

Era Scarecrow via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 6 19:55:11 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 7 August 2014 at 02:12:20 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> Hold on a sec... that's a pull for your own fork of Phobos. You
> need to submit a pull to the main Phobos repo in order to get
> it reviewed and merged. :-)

> Well, no wonder, your pull was submitted against your local
> fork, not to the main Phobos repo, so nobody knew about it
> (except Dmitry, apparently). It would help to submit pulls
> against the main  Phobos repo.
> :-)

> Also, looks like you made major changes to the code... if it's
> a complete rewrite, I'd say submit it as a single pull. If it's
> a collection of many fixes, it's probably better to submit
> separate pulls so that the easy fixes will get in first while
> we work out the  wrinkles on the more complicated fixes.

  I did submit it against the original Phobos, and the auto tester
picked it up. For something like 3-4 weeks it tried and kept
failing over and over again because it couldn't merge it.

  The reason? It was something like 13 unresolved newlines that
didn't match up... or something that I have no idea how I could
fix because whitespace is invisible.

  Later Walter or Andrei (I forget who) complained when they
looked at it and wanted me to break it apart into smaller more
indivdual bug fixes (since it's hard to tell what i changed as a
single blob/replacement) but as a complete re-write and I don't
know if I COULD do that...

  Trust me. I tried. It failed. Eventually I just pulled the
request and gave up at that time... Right about the time of the
Dconf 2013 I got burned out and got depressed (Probably major
changes in meds).