Faster ways to redirect stdout of child process to file

Thomas Mader via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 11 15:09:03 PDT 2014

I use

         auto pipes = pipeProcess( cmd, Redirect.stdout |
Redirect.stderr );

to redirect stdout of the newly created subprocess via pipes to a
file. The redirect itself happens in a newly created thread
(because I need to wait for the subprocess to finish to take the
exact elapsed time) doing basically:

         pipes.stdout.byChunk( 1024 * 1024 ).copy(
cof.lockingTextWriter() );

This happens to use much of my CPU time (~25%). I wonder if there
is no faster way to do this.
I use this method because I want to be platform independent.

Thomas