Appender is ... slow

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 15 14:24:24 PDT 2014

On Friday, 15 August 2014 at 16:48:10 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
> If you are using "raw GC arrays", then the "raw" append
> operation will, outweigh the relocation cost on extension. So
> pre-allocation wouldn't really help in this situation (though
> the use of Appender *should*)

Is that because it's able to grab memory from the GC without
actually having to allocate anything? Normally, I would have
expected allocations to far outweigh the cost on extension and
that preallocating would help a lot. But that would be with
malloc or C++'s new rather than the GC, which has already
allocated memory to reuse after it collects garbage.

- Jonathan M Davis