Learning D

Ryan via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 25 09:46:10 PDT 2014

Me: Software developer for 30 years.

So perhaps this is old fashion, but I wanted to start using D by
whipping together nice little personal utilities.

I tried installing MonoDevelop and Mono-D.  I can't even figure
out the basics, such as adding references to a project.  There
are no options in the context menus, and although it looks like
drag an drop might work (a '+' sign appears by the cursor),
dropping a file from the filesystem doesn't work either.

Although I dream of someday being able to add a reference to a
project, I'm not really sure what I might drag in.  I managed to
download and compile GtkD, since it seems like a GUI would be a
nice place to start (again, old fashion).  I got three *.lib
files out of it... Hmmmm... Maybe these are references??

I had installed the Visual Studio plugin, but I don't want to use
this since I would like to eventually migrate away from Windows.

Let me cut to the chase.  I have no friggin' clue how to start,
and I can't seem to find a tutorial anywhere...

What IDE should I use? I'm not big fan of Eclipse, although if I
had to use it this wouldn't be a dealbreaker.  Give me something
easy and lightweight, unless you've got a GUI builder (this is
why I started with MonoDevelop, though this isn't working so well
for me).

What Widget library should I use?  I started with GTKD, but since
there are no tutorials does this mean nobody actually does this?
Should I use DWT?  What about QT?

I just want something simple and mainstream to start learning D
with.

Any thoughts?