whats happening to my binary file size?

via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 27 11:36:07 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 27 August 2014 at 16:24:23 UTC, Israel wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 August 2014 at 09:23:57 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
>> You could try using LDC. The latest version 0.14.0 already
>> uses --gc-sections automatically. (But it is based on DMD
>> 2.065, so you cannot (yet) use all of the newest features like
>> @nogc that are in DMD 2.066.)
>
> Yea i saw that thread in the LDC section and thats actually
> pretty cool that he produced an 88kb file.
>
> Im not too worried about the GC since ive been working with it
> my
> entire time from beginner till now.
>
> But, how would i configure dub and my dub.json to automatically
> use those LDC switches if it isnt automatically built into dub?

I'm not too familiar with DUB, so I'll pass on this one, but a
clarification:

--gc-sections isn't referring to D's builtin GC, but tells the
linker to remove "garbage sections" in the executable, i.e. those
that aren't referenced from anywhere. Apart from the name (and
that the underlying ideas are similar), those two have nothing to
do with each other.