DIP64 - Regarding 'pure' and 'nothrow'

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 28 09:55:34 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 28 August 2014 at 15:01:58 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> "Brian Schott"  wrote in message
> news:pbfgiwaxsdxdxetpihzb at forum.dlang.org...
>
>> The "delete" keyword is deprecated[1] and making that decision
>> never broke any code.
>>
>> [1] http://dlang.org/deprecate.html#delete
>
> If you look at the table up the top, delete hasn't actually
> been deprecated yet.  If and when this will actually happen is
> uncertain.

AFAIK, the only reason that it's not deprecated is that no one
has bothered to make the change (and you didn't want to deprecate
it when you went through all  of those and updated their status a
while back). Andrei has stated on multiple occasions that it's
going, and I think that Walter has said the same. Arguably, it
should have been deprecated ages ago. The only good argument I
see for keeping it around is that we don't have the custom
allocators yet, so it's royal pain for anyone to construct
classes on the malloc heap instead of on the GC heap (since using
emplace to do it is non-trivial), and anyone who's using delete
and really doesn't want to wait for the GC to collect the memory
doesn't have an easy alternative at the moment.

- Jonathan M Davis