Learning D for a non computer science background person : pre-requisite knowledge?

Mayuresh Kathe via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 2 09:04:55 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 2 December 2014 at 16:54:50 UTC, CraigDillabaugh
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2 December 2014 at 16:38:34 UTC, Mayuresh Kathe
> wrote:
>> While I have been a programmer for close to 23 years, it's
>> been mostly API level code cobbling work.
>>
>> Would like to learn "D", but am a bit intimidated by the fact
>> that I don't have much of a grasp over the foundational stuff
>> (discrete mathematics, machine organization, etc.) and hence
>> am preparing for the same.
>>
>> Would like to know if there be anything else I should work
>> through before approaching "D" via Mr. Alexandrescu's book.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> If you have been programming for 23 years there is absolutely
> no reason why you should struggle with D due to your lack of
> discrete math, machine organization knowledge, etc.  You
> certainly shouldn't have any trouble following Andrei's book,
> which is very easy to follow, although having some discrete
> math is helpful in keeping up with some of his forum posts :o)
>
> Welcome to the D world!

Thanks for the welcome. :)

I think I'll just work through Discrete Mathematics and Machine
Organization before approaching Mr. Alexandrescu's book, would
take up only 6 ~ 8 months of my time, and would be really good
for me in the long term.