Adding days to std.datetime.Date

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 6 14:40:02 PST 2014

On Tuesday, December 02, 2014 14:21:35 Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:

> > Not an oversight.
> >
> > Date.add and Date.roll are for adding units that are variable.
> >
> > For example, how many days are in a month? Answer: depends on the month.
> > How many days in a year? Answer: depends on the year.
> >
> > But days are NOT variable, there are exactly 24 hours in a day. So to
> > add a day, you just add a day with +=.
>
> Aaaand to expand on this, since roll *does* support days, it's because
> the number being added isn't the important unit, it's the unit above.
> Hence rolling days means you will stay in the same month.
>
> I'm not exactly sure of the reason behind roll, but I'm sure Jonathan
> has one :)

A prime example of where to use it would be if you have a GUI with spinners
for the values, and you didn't want incrementing the day to increment the
month. It would be kind of annoying to implement that without roll. And
since you need to specify the units for rolling (and the addition operator
was already used for normal adding), adding a Duration to the time point in
order to roll didn't make sense, and a separate function was needed for it
even for the smaller units. I don't remember if roll originated with Boost,
or if I came up with it though (since portions of std.datetime's API are
based on Boost - e.g. julianDay is only there because Boost had it, and
astronomers use it such that it seemed useful enough to have; I wouldn't
have come up with it on my own though).

- Jonathan M Davis