std.bitmanip - bitshift?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 12 11:17:49 PST 2014

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 11:13:38AM -0500, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On 12/12/14 8:39 AM, Trollgeir wrote:
> >http://dlang.org/phobos/std_bitmanip.html
> >
> >Does anyone know how to bit-shift a BitArray?
> >
> >I'm trying to make spikes in a neural network travel along the
> >bits as they have various lengths.
>
> That is a surprising omission from a bit-oriented type...
>
> You also cannot opSlice a BitArray. Nice for enhancement requests, if
> you want to add them to the issue tracker.
[...]

I've started working on an implementation of this... but it's not very
clear what the correct semantics should be. For example, if my starting
BitArray b is 1101, say, what should be the result after b>>=1? Should
it be 0110, 110, or 01101?

It is widely believed that reinventing the wheel is a waste of time; but I disagree: without wheel reinventers, we would be still be stuck with wooden horse-cart wheels.