std.array oddness

earthfront via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 13 21:15:43 PST 2014

On Saturday, 13 December 2014 at 06:40:41 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>     auto names = File("names.txt")
>         .byLine!(char,char)(KeepTerminator.no, ',')
>         .map!"a.idup"
>         .array;

Awesome. "map!idup" does the trick.

I had looked at the "byLine" doc before posting, in particular,
this line:
"Note:
Each front will not persist after popFront is called, so the
caller must copy its contents (e.g. by calling to!string) if
retention is needed."

This explains the behavior though I didn't get it then. It's
talking about the "range" methods.
Following the component based stuff from Walter's article can be
brain-bendy. And in this case, requires careful reading of the
docs.
But I like it.

Thanks!