Data Frames in D - let's not wait for linear algebra; useful today in finance and Internet of Things

via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 27 05:53:59 PST 2014

On Saturday, 27 December 2014 at 13:39:59 UTC, Russel Winder via
Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> I have ranted many times about GIL in Python, and on two
> occasions spent
> 2 or 3 hours trying to convince Guido about the lunacy of a GIL
> based
> interpreted in 2014. Armin Rigo has an STM-based version in
> PyPy and
> CPython and has shown it can work just fine.

I wonder how TSX would work with GIL. I suppose most GIL locks
are short lived enough to be covered by TSX before it fails and
takes a lock.

> In principle this is fertile territory for a new language to
> take the
> stage. Hence Julia. I fear D has missed the boat of this
> opportunity
> now. On the other hand if some real data science people begin
> to do data
> science with D and show that more can be done with less, and
> without
> loss of functionality, then there is an opportunity for
> marketing and
> possible traction in the market.

To be fair, you also have to compete against commercial solutions
such as SPSS, SAS and others.

Then you have OpenMP for C++ and Fortran, which it will be
difficult for D to compete with in terms of performance vs effort.