Implicit type conversion of an argument when a function is called

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 19:50:14 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 03:45:30 UTC, Carl Sturtivant
wrote:
> If I define a struct, and I want to pass a string to a function
> with a parameter of type that very struct, is there any way to
> arrange that an implicit conversion occurs, assuming a function
> that maps a string to that struct type exists?

Nope, you have to do it explicitly.

f(data("hello"));

You could write a wrapper function do do the conversions for you,
but of course, you are still explicitly calling the wrapper at
the usage site.

I kinda wish D did have this. The mistake C++ made was having the
implicit conversions be the default, not having it be an option.
But it isn't in and as far as I know, there are no plans to add
it either.