What learning resources are available?

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 13:40:32 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 18 February 2014 at 19:17:55 UTC, Mark Isaacson wrote:
> Hi everyone - I'm a D newbie with a very strong C++ background
> looking to get started. I've read "The D Programming Language"
> a couple of times now, but I've heard rumblings at several
> points in time from several people that some if its contents
> are now out of date or no longer reflect best practices.
>
> What would be the best way to bridge the learning gap between
> TDPL's publication and now?
>
> What other resources would be most useful in establishing a
> working knowledge of idiomatic D?
>
> What's the best way to stay informed about such changes in the
> future? (Is there a mailing list, or should I just be reading
> dmd changelogs?)
>
> Thanks in advance!

Combining other posts with my opinion of each item:

A combination of:

TDPL: overview of the language with justifications, should be
very well targeted for an experienced C++ programmer

http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/ for a few more up to date details and
good basic introductions to anything you get confused by.

Phobos code: Judicious use of the power of D. Not all good, but
if you look at the more frequently updated modules you should get
a nice picture.

http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:D for lots of D solutions to
common problems etc. Mostly by bearophile (I think?), stretching
the limits of terse range-based D code.