GC for noobs

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Fri Feb 28 02:45:54 PST 2014

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 18:29:55 -0000, Szymon Gatner <noemail at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday, 27 February 2014 at 18:06:58 UTC, John Colvin wrote:

>>> Tbh it only looks worse and worse to me :(
>>>
>>> Another example of code necessary to overcome language limitations.
>>
>> Or, alternatively:
>>
>> A language flexible enough to facilitate library solutions for problems
>> that would normally require explicit language support.
>
> I dig flexibility, I really do, and I appreciate D's features that
> enable that, but in case of such basic thing as a resource management, I
> just want things to work without surprises by default.

Amen.  (Not used religiously)

I have been around D for a long time, and I have noticed a growing trend
of solving problems with "clever" but complicated library solutions when
in *some* cases a simpler built-in solution was possible.  I realise
Walter's time is precious and I realise that adding complexity to the
language itself is something to be generally avoided, but I think
sometimes we make the wrong choice.