Learning D as main systems programming language

Rikki Cattermole alphaglosined at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 19:36:29 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 8 January 2014 at 23:38:31 UTC, Goran Petrevski
wrote:
> I'm new in the programming, systems programming especially, but
> I want to learn D more as a systems programming language and by
> that I mean avoiding libraries at all. My goal is to write a
> simple operating system totaly in D (using Assembly wherever is
> needed) and by progressing in that project, learning this
> powerfull language as the main systems programming language.
> Any help/advice on this goal will be really
> helpful/appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Based upon what I've read on the forum:
Try and get a minimal druntime first. Doing so will make you
understand what is required to make it work.
You won't have access to the GC so a lot of language features
(like slices) are out of the question.

There are some copies of druntime floating about for embedded
which will probably help you.

I don't know how easy it would be to get a bootloader to call a D
kernel although it has been done.