dub and ddox

Sönke Ludwig sludwig+dforum at outerproduct.org
Fri Jan 10 01:44:33 PST 2014

Am 08.01.2014 16:34, schrieb Kelet:
> On Wednesday, 8 January 2014 at 09:47:03 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>> In that particular case (dub build --build=ddox), you can just have
>> your own versions of the style files in your docs/styles/ folder (copy
>> and modify from ddox/public/styles). That won't work for "dub run
>> --build=ddox" as it will always use DDOX own resources. However, for
>> DUB 0.9.22 I'm going to make documentation generation an own command
>> instead of just a build type and add more possibilities for
>> customization.
>
> The problem is that `dub build --build=ddox` overwrites ddox.css in
> docs/styles every time I run it.

Is that on Windows or Linux? I've just seen that on Linux it uses "cp
-r" to copy the resources, while it should use "cp -ru" (fixed on GIT
master). Even that is still not ideal, but the question is which is the
best compromise:

1. Require the user to copy resources (most will probably not know and
    it's additional effort)
2. Update if newer - gets the latest updates, but may also discard
    customizations
3. Copy if not already existing - least intrusive, but doesn't get
    updated resources
4. Ask the user, may be annoying and bad for scripts

My current idea is to choose one of these as the default (probably 2 or
3) and provide command line switches to use one of the others. But that
will only be possible once documentation generation uses an own command
à la "dub docs --generate --no-resources".