errors with filesystem operations

Hugo Florentino hugo at acdam.cu
Thu Jan 16 08:23:35 PST 2014

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 15:41:06 +0000, Kagamin wrote:
> Probably because you use ansi api: if filename contains non-english
> character, there could be a problem.
>
> A filesystem support is primarily for storing files, attributes can
> be safely ignored.

Hmm... that may be true for Linux filesystems, but not necessarily for
filesystems used by Windows, where attributes do matter.

Probably the majority of people here works from Linux and maybe most
have the good fortune that the rest of the users in their organization
either works in Linux too, or are computer literate persons. However
where I work all users work in Windows (there is a specific application
for the management of music rights which has not been ported to Linux
AFAIK) and most of them have rather basic computer skills.

So these users sometimes bring a USB memory from home, infected with
some virus which the company antivirus does disinfect, but the effects
(hidden folders or files moved to a directory with a blank name, among
others) are not always reversed.

So you see, I would prefer distributing an executable which fixes the
memory for them rather than having them come into my office and make me
reboot to Windows just to remove the hidden attribute from their folders
or so on.

Besides, if in my application I specifically set console codepage to
UTF8 for the Windows version of the executable, and I am calling a D
function (supposedly portable) to rename or delete a directory, and yet
it does not get deleted, supposedly because it is being used (which I
have tried to avoid in my code), I find this rather odd, and since I am
new to D, I do not yet know the internals of the language well enough to
realize where the problem is.

Which is why I am asking for help here :)