Building D from source on Windows

Andrew Edwards ridimz at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 16 09:41:00 PST 2014

I'm having problems setting up my programming environment on Windows and
would really appreciate some assistance. Following instructions for
Windows at [1], everything builds fine, however I cannot build with DMD
afterwards because of linker errors.

The first such error said that the file C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\link.exe
was missing. I moved a copy of link.exe from an from v2.064.2 to that
location to try to remedy the situation. It did not work I was bombarded
with a slew of errors like the one bellow:

     ..\druntime\lib\druntime.lib(thread)
     Error 35: Cannot Reach TARGET from FRAME at Relative 00041H from
Segment _TEXT
     Segment _TEXT
     FRAME  = Frame of Group FLAT 000000H
     TARGET = External Symbol
_D4core6thread6Thread7sm_thisC4Core6thread6Thread 93D24H
     FIXUP Type = Unknown Type
     --- errorlevel 1342

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.

[1] http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_DMD