Why CTFE is context-sensitive?

Pierre Talbot ptalbot**mustberemoved** at hyc.**thisto**io
Sun Jan 26 05:31:53 PST 2014

On Sunday, 26 January 2014 at 12:52:38 UTC, Martin Cejp wrote:
> On Sunday, 26 January 2014 at 09:59:01 UTC, Pierre Talbot wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering why CTFE is context sensitive, why don't we
>> check
>> every expressions and run the CTFE if it applies?
>
> Speed?

Hmm, I knew I shouldn't have duplicated this post!

The speed is certainly a factor but an option could have been
added to the compiler to enable context-sensitivity in case we'd
like the compiler to be faster (or at least, an option to enable
context-insensivity). So it doesn't sound to me to be the only
reason.