implib and system dlls, oh my

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 5 14:07:49 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 24 June 2014 at 12:56:28 UTC, Jason King wrote:

>> I don't know enough about implib to explain it.
>> But another method that I believe should work is to use linker
>> definition files.
>> It'll allow optlink to work.
>> Just add it to dmd, actually I believe it needs to be passed
>> to Optlink (so -L it).
>>
>> Another fix, might be to use 64bit, but shouldn't be required.
>>
>> [0]
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/wiki/DefFiles/OleAut32
>
> Rikki,
> Thank you for your kind attention.  I spewed to the newsgroup
> and googled for an answer in the wrong order.  It appears the
> solution to this problem is the combination of coffimplib +
> windows SDK.  After using those on the SDK's oleaut32.lib I got
> a library with the properly decorated _VarCmp at 16.
>
> Not your job, but this could probably be made simpler.

You may want to spearhead the effort to get Win32 support of MSVC
into D, if you care enough about it.  Rainer has done most of the
work, you'd just have to turn his patches into pull requests,
shepherd them through the review process, and maybe add some
polish:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mailman.1560.1323886804.24802.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com?page=9#post-llldfc:242q6p:241:40digitalmars.com