Opinions: The Best and Worst of D (for a lecture/talk I intend to give)

Aerolite via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 7 16:47:25 PDT 2014

Hey all,

I've not posted here in a while, but I've been keeping up to
speed with D's progress over the last couple of years and remain
consistently impressed with the language.

I'm part of a new computing society in the University of
Newcastle, Australia, and am essentially known throughout our
Computer Science department as 'the D guy'. At the insistence of
my peers, I have decided to give an introductory lecture on the D
Programming Language, in order to expose more students to the
increasingly amazing aspects of D. I expect to cover the good,
the bad, the awesome, and the ugly, in a
complement-criticism-complement styled talk, and while I have my
own opinions regarding each of these things, I'd like a broader
view from the community regarding these aspects, so that I may
provide as accurate and as useful information as possible.

So, if you would be so kind, give me a bullet list of the aspects
of D you believe to be good, awesome, bad, and/or ugly. If you
have the time, some code examples wouldn't go amiss either! Try
not to go in-depth to weird edge cases - remain general, yet
informative. E.g. I consider D's string mixins to be in the
'awesome' category, but its reliance on the GC for large segments
of the standard library to be in the 'ugly' category.

Thanks so much for your time!