Small part of a program : d and c versions performances diff.

Larry via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 9 08:09:08 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 9 July 2014 at 14:30:41 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 July 2014 at 13:46:59 UTC, Larry wrote:
>> The rest of the code is numerical so it will not change by
>> much the fact that d cannot get back the huge launching time.
>> At the microsecond level(even nano) it counts because of
>> electrical consumption, size of hardware, heat and so on.
>
> You say you are worried about microseconds and power
> consumption, but you are suggesting launching a new process - a
> lot of overhead - to do a small amount of numerical work.
>
> Surely no matter what programming language you use you would
> not want to work like this?

@John : A new process ? Where ?
Or maybe I got you wrong on this one John

I am writing libraries and before going further I wondered if
there were alternatives that I could have a grab on. The idea is
to have an homogeneous software so we were ready to switch to d
for the whole tasks/asset.

No new process involved.

I was seaking for maybe a python like programming language that
offers c-like perfs, without so much writing as in c. Exit
Cython. Debugging it is a real pain. And executable size is..
well..

I am becoming lazy and seek for the Holy Grail. Java not welcome.
D seemed like a very good choice and maybe it is, or more
certainly will.