compiler never finishes

Vlad Levenfeld via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 16 00:06:11 PDT 2014

Recently I had a bug where the compiler got stuck in an infinite
loop or something. I managed to bracket it with static if (0) and
it turned out that I had intended to declare a template method

auto ref foo (Bar)() {...}

but accidentally left off the function parameters

auto ref foo (Bar) {...}

and dmd never gave an error message, it just kept chugging along
till I killed it.

I can't manage to reproduce it in an SSCCE, it was nested inside
a few layers of mixins (dumbly layering mixins in an example
doesn't reproduce it).

And reducing the code with DustMite depends on the compiler
outputting an error message.

Is there anything I can do to produce some information for a
meaningful bug report in a situation like this?