D JSON (WAT?!)

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 24 09:09:48 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 24 July 2014 at 15:54:21 UTC, Pavel wrote:
> On Thursday, 24 July 2014 at 15:48:32 UTC, Edwin van Leeuwen
> wrote:

>>> Maybe. But still it's not the way I expect, any time you
>>> check for non-existing property you must consider exception,
>>> which is very heavy to deal with in such a situation. I'd
>>> rather expect to get null, whenever I try to fetch
>>> non-existing property, and not an exception.
>>
>> You can turn your json object into an AA object and then use
>> in to check for existence (I know it is not very intuitive):
>>
>> JSONValue[string] jsonAA = parsed.object;
>> if ( "fail" in jsonAA )
>>  s = jsonAA["fail"].str;
>>

>>> That's purely my point, and I don't claim to be right in this
>>> way. It's up to Phobos maintainers to decide how to reprent
>>> JSON parsing results.
>
> Guess what, here's a new snippet:
>
> import std.stdio;
> import std.json;
>
> void main() {
>   scope(failure) writeln("FaILED!!");
>   string jsonStr = `{ "name": "1", "type": "r" }`;
>   auto parsed = parseJSON(jsonStr).object;
>   writeln("fail" in parsed);
> }
>
> Output is:
> null
>
> WAT?!
>
> Ofcourse, writing like:
>
> writeln(cast(bool)("fail" in parsed));
>
> Produces "false"... but why on earth boolean expression would
> output null?
>
> PS: Sorry, for such an emotional boom, I'm so frustrated right
> now.

The in operator in d returns a pointer to the element found or
null.
This might be a little confusing at first* but it makes sense for
efficiency reasons. There is often a lot overlap between the work
needed to test for presence and the work needed to fetch an
element.

For types where fetching elements is a significant extra cost you
can always define a `bool contains(K key) { /* ... */ }` so a
user can avoid this cost when appropriate.

*although to be honest it's just a different reading:
`b in c` can be read as "the b in c" or "is b in c?"