enums

Chris Nicholson-Sauls via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 1 01:35:35 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 31 May 2014 at 22:45:32 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> Chris Nicholson-Sauls:
>
>> Good... I was starting to fear I was the only one.
>
> In general you can't fix the names in a language because you
> always find someone that likes the ones present :) I think
> "enum" is a bad name for the purpose of defining manifest
> constants, but I don't think this will change.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

In a perfect world, sure, we'd have a different name for it; I'm
not saying I love it, just that it "makes sense" in my head.
I've sometimes thought 'alias' could have worked as well,
especially now with the a=b syntax.

alias DEFAULT_PORT = 11020;

But, then we exchange one set of brow raisers for another set.
In the absence of #define, there probably is no achievable ideal.
  :)