Kernel in D

1100110 via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 5 04:05:40 PDT 2014

On 5/31/14, 7:57, ed wrote:
> On Saturday, 31 May 2014 at 07:28:32 UTC, Mineko wrote:
>> So, I've gotten interested in kernel programming in D.. And as much as
>> I like C/C++, I wanna try innovating, I'm aware that phobos/gc and any
>> OS-specific issues are going to be a problem, but I'm willing to
>> implement them into the kernel itself.
>>
>> So, I guess what I'm asking is this: What should I look out for, what
>> should I avoid, and what should I use to my advantage?
>>
>> I'm not expecting this kernel to be Linux right off the bat, but I
>> would like to see how far D can go with this.
>>
>> Any ideas? :P
>
> I wrote a little kernel a while back that all started when I read this
> wiki page:
>
> http://wiki.osdev.org/D_Bare_Bones
>
> You may be beyond this already as it is pretty basic stuff...still it's
> good if you're just learning like I am. There are some articles that
> helped me fix the 64-bit bootloader issues I was having as well.
>
> Cheers,
> ed

Just a warning, there are a few bugs on that wiki page.  Nothing major,
just don't expect every example to work out of the box. (unless it has
been  updated in the last year of course).

I thought about editing it, but I lost interest in my project before I
got around to it. =C

I've long since forgotten what issues I encountered though...