'!' and naming conventions

Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 18 15:21:29 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 18 June 2014 at 21:58:48 UTC, Jonathan M Davis via
Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>> Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 at 11:02 PM
>> From: "Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d-learn"
>> <digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com>
>> To: digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
>> Subject: Re: '!' and naming conventions
>>
>> There is a style guide on the website:
>> http://dlang.org/dstyle.html
>>
>> Personally I just consider this a Phobos contributor style
>> guide and not like a PEP8 style guideline.
>
> It was written with the hope that it would be generally
> followed by the D
> community, and that's part of the reason that it specifically
> focuses on the
> API and not the formatting of the code itself. So, ideally,
> most D projects
> would follow it (particularly if they're being distributed
> publicly) so that
> we have consistency across the community (particularly with
> regards to how
> things are captitalized and whatnot), but by no means is it
> required that
> every D project follow it. It's up to every developer to choose
> how they want
> to go about writing their APIs. We're not fascists and don't
> require that all
> code out there be formatted in a specific way or that all APIs
> follow exact
> naming rules (we couldn't enforce that anyway). But still, I
> would hope that
> most public D librares would follow the naming guidelines in
> the D style
> guide.
>
> Now, for Phobos, it's required, and there are even a couple of
> formatting
> rules added to the end specifically for Phobos, but outside of
> official D
> projects, it's up to the developers of those projects to choose
> what they want
> to do.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I think it's a pretty good basic style guide overall and I follow
it quite a bit, mostly due to coincidence (it overlaps with my
own style I've developed over the years quite a bit). Really, the
main thing I do differently is I use all lowercase, underscored
names for variables instead of camelcasing. I don't care for the
look of camelcase so I only use it for globals and other
infrequently used things where I want it to stand out a bit from
my regular variables.

What we really need is a D Idiom Guide but that's a much more
difficult and controversial subject.