Nobody understands templates?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Mar 4 11:34:47 PST 2014

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 07:18:17PM +0000, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-03-04 at 10:27 -0800, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 06:19:38PM +0000, Chris wrote:
[...]
> > > Btw, the quote you have in this post:
> > >
> > > Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by
> > > incompetence. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
> > >
> > > I'm surprised that Napoleon would say something like this. Malice
> > > is often a characteristic of the incompetent. The only way to get
> > > the better of their betters. :-)
> >
> > I'm not sure if that attribution is accurate. Nick has pointed out
> > to me that he knows the same quote attributed to someone else, so
> > this may be a case of internet misattribution (I picked up that
> > quote from somewhere online, way back when -- no idea if the source
> > was reliable, y'know, being the internet and everything).
>
> I present you the following, which between then give a good account of
> the whole situation. Sort of. Possibly.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor
> https://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Hanlon_s_razor.html
> http://blog.writch.com/2009/04/hanlons-razor-which-i-knew-as-heinleins-razor.html
[...]

Whoa. So this is one of those things that nobody knows for sure where it
came from? :) My new favorite version of it is (allegedly) Elbert
Hubbard's:

	Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus
	handicapped.

That's going into my quotes file... :)

People say I'm indecisive, but I'm not sure about that. -- YHL, CONLANG