Nobody understands templates?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue Mar 4 18:40:07 PST 2014

On 3/4/2014 1:27 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 06:19:38PM +0000, Chris wrote:
>>
>> Btw, the quote you have in this post:
>>
>> Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by
>> incompetence. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
>>
>> I'm surprised that Napoleon would say something like this. Malice is
>> often a characteristic of the incompetent. The only way to get the
>> better of their betters. :-)
>
> I'm not sure if that attribution is accurate. Nick has pointed out to me
> that he knows the same quote attributed to someone else, so this may be
> a case of internet misattribution (I picked up that quote from somewhere
> online, way back when -- no idea if the source was reliable, y'know,
> being the internet and everything).

Hanlon's Razor, a tongue-in-cheek "corollary" (of sorts) to Occam's
Razor. I'm a huge believer in Hanlon's Razor, BTW, as well as Occam's
Razor which I see as an axiom (for a loose definition of "axiom") that's
fundamental in making all of science actually work and separating
science from folklore.

For all I know, Napoleon may have uttered Hanlon's Razor at some point.
I'm sure he's said a lot of things :) If so, he may have been the first.